Sunday, January 16, 2011

An Afternoon at the Reitz Ranch







The view from my house, looking from Jerome out over the Verde Valley. I can see the red rocks of Sedona to the right, and the San Francisco peaks above Flagstaff and Sycamore Canyon to the left. Don Reitz's place is on the Verde River on the way to Sycamore Canyon. (The red-tiled complex of buildings on the hill to the right is the Old Jerome High School where I have my studio.)


This afternoon we went to Don's to see him give his complex of kilns and his studio as a legacy to Arizona State University.  It was a fantastically beautiful, Arizona, January day. Here's Don and Larry posing for the cameras.




Don thanks his support staff, including local ceramic artists Larry and Brandi. Larry also works at the Verde Campus with me, and that's a pretty accurate halo over his head. Brandi has been at La Meridiana recently, and she is going back to work there in the Autumn. Everyone should go to La Meridiana. In fact, I think we should all take a field trip to Italy!















Clive keeping Giulietta out of the kilns. (Though I heard there was some discussion that she could be used to reach the far corners.)











Behind the kilns, on the cliff over the Verde River. A lovely afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment